For faster browsing, we recommend that you upgrade your browser
Select country and language
Other language website:
Still not registered?
Enter MilleMiglia code and PIN and login
When traveling in Italy, minors must also have their own identity document:
- If you have an Italian document, just show one of the identity documents specifically mentioned in DPR (Italian Presidential Decree) 445/2000 as well as all the documents needed for international travel
- If you have a document for another nationality, check on the website of the Italian Embassy or the Italian Consulate which documents are needed.
Children under the age of 14 may, as long as they are in possession of their own identification document, travel with persons who are neither their parents nor legal guardians, while children between the ages of 14 and 17 years of age may travel without an accompanying adult.
For international travel:
- Children with an Italian document must have one of the following documents:
- Identity Card valid for international travel , valid for travel within the EU or to a country with a bilateral agreement with Italy. Choose your destination to find out if a bilateral agreement is in place
- Individual passport : being included on the passport of a parent or legal guardian is no longer valid for travel
- Travel Permit, which can be used only for certain destinations and is a valid certificate or birth certificate extract with a photograph, issued by the Municipality of birth and validated by the local Questura
- Minor accompanied by parent/legal guardian - the name of the parent or legal guardian traveling with the minor must be on the travel document and a birth certificate or certificate of family status must also be carried so that the authorities can ascertain the identity of the child's parents
- Minor accompanied by an adult without any legal relationship to the minor - in addition to the minor’s own identity document, a Dichiarazione di Accompagno (Declaration of Temporary Guardianship for Travel Abroad) signed by a parent or legal guardian and authenticated by the Questura must be provided. It must bear the name of the person, the entity or the transportation company to which the minor is entrusted*
- Minors with a document proving another nationality (not Italian) must check on the website of the embassy or consulate in the destination country.
If the minor is less than 14 years old, in addition to a personal document (an ID card, passport or travel permit), he/she must be accompanied by an adult and certain other legal requirements must be met depending on who the minor is traveling with:
If the minor is traveling as part of a school trip or study group, the name of the person in charge of the group or the name of the institute/entity that organized the trip must be mentioned on the Dichiarazione di Accompagno (Declaration of Temporary Guardianship for Travel Abroad).
Find out about the UNACCOMPANIED MINOR SERVICE
*Art. 20-ter of Law 166 dated November 20, 2009, which modifies Art. 14 of Law 1185 dated November 21, 1967
From Italy: (+39) 89 20 10