For faster browsing, we recommend that you upgrade your browser
Select country and language
Still not registered?
Enter MilleMiglia code and PIN and login
Don’t want to leave your dog, cat, ferret or canary behind when you go on vacation?
Here are some tips on how to make your pet’s airplane trip as comfortable as possible:
- Get your pet used to a carrier or cage at least five days before your trip if your pet will be traveling in the cargo hold
- Give your pet frequent but small quantities of water before take-off
- Feed your pet up to four hours before take-off and make sure it has enough food for the entire trip
- Check with your vet to see if your pet might benefit from tranquilizers
Not every aircraft has animal transport facilities and the maximum size of the pet carriers they can take on board varies. Please find out if your pet can travel with you by calling our Special Assistance service.
In order to prevent the spread of avian (bird) flu, the EU and the Ministry of Health have placed a total ban on the transportation of birds from Asia, Turkey, Russia, South Africa, Romania, Croatia and the Balkan Peninsula. For public health and safety reasons, parrots and parakeets cannot be transported.
The following chart shows the fares* applicable to the transportation of pets:
|Italy||Europe, Eastern Europe, North Africa||Middle East||Japan and China||Canada, South America, Central Africa||From the USA to rest of the world||From the rest of the world to the USA|
(up to 10 kg including carrier and food)
(up to 75 kg including carrier and food)
Other criteria for the pet's comfort and safety
- The bottom of the carrier must be covered with a blanket, newspaper or other absorbent material. Straw is forbidden
- The pet must not have a leash or a muzzle. In addition, these accessories must not be left inside the carrier
- The pet must not show signs of physical tiredness and must not be injured. Check with your vet to see if your pet might benefit from tranquilizers and remember to put at least a bowl inside the carrier so that your pet is comfortable during the journey. The bowl must be empty, fastened and accessible without opening the carrier.
If these conditions are not met or if the pet disturbs passengers, the captain can transfer it to the cargo hold.
If you want advice and suggestions on the best way to plan your trip with your pet, please visit the website of Ministry of Health.
*The currency used for payment of the excess baggage charge is as follows: EUR (from Europe, Eastern Europe, Japan and China), CAD (from Canada) and USD (from the USA and the rest of the world)
From Italy: 89 20 10